And We Fight!

There are moments when I am at work that I need to get out, I need to find a place, I need to get my fingers on a piano, find a quiet place, just get out and drive for an afternoon and end up in a different state. There are times when I am heading back home, and 2 hours later I am finally pulling into the driveway. There are times when I say 'no' to plans, there are times where I make plans and then don't follow through. There are days when I cannot will myself out of bed. There are moments where I break out in tears for no reason. Where I am so overcome with grief, pain, loss, guilt, shame, confusion (the list can go on...)

BUT

There are days where I sit and talk with people in my office for hours, not getting any work done, but connecting with people on a deeper level then just a blatant 'howdy, how ya doing'. There are days where I lay in bed so content with a cup of good coffee and marvel at the sunrise. There are days where John and I never leave the house and just curl up on the couch and watch The Office all day. There are nights when John and I jump in the car and take back roads into the city and just drive in circles for hours. There are moments when I am laughing hysterically at absolutely nothing, laughing at goofy videos, laughing so hard I have to run to the bathroom! There are moments when I am filled with so much joy, love, peace, healing, self-confidence, assurance, fearlessness, strength, etc.

BOTH/AND

My life is filled with a both/and. Life is not an either/or. Life is not about choosing to be happy or choosing to be depressed. Life is recognizing that we live in a world that demands either/or but the life we live is about living in the both/and. It is about living through the crap AND the awesome, both the valleys and the mountain tops. Life is about holding onto the smiles, laughs, quirky photos, and
long car rides, knowing that they will pull us through the loss of love, personal struggles, work strife, bad economy. Life is about knowing when to be strong and knowing when to let go. To know that being weak is in fact not a sign of weakness! That it is perfectly okay to not be okay! To break and fall, to lay down the fight you have been battling with, to turn to support in friends and family, to say 'I can not do this on my own anymore'.

BECAUSE

It is through our weaknesses that we are made strong. It is through those moments in our lives where we feel lost, that we find out exactly where we are. We are able to learn new things about ourselves and see exactly how strong we can become. It is through the tests of failures, we find the truth about ourselves. This is not a post of cliches simply wrote out to make one feel better. This is a post about life and how complicated it is. If you look around and think that everyone around you has it so easy; or you single out that one person, we all have that one person we are thinking about, and say there life is so perfect and nothing seems to be going wrong. You would be wrong with that kind of thinking. We all have our own baggage and struggles and battles we are fighting. Some of us may seem capable and stronger in fighting our own demons, but fight we all do!

WHY

We fight to live. From the moment we are born and brought into this world we fight. Some of us fight harder from that very first breath. Some of us fight longer, deadlier, ravenous battles with illness, sickness, and disease. Some of us are witness to horrors beyond words both abroad and closer to home then we could ever image. Some of us sit in our homes and ask how this could ever happen. Some are forced from home and ask how could this happen. Some are united together to fight for a right to this never to happen again. Some are torn apart by something that should have never happened. We fight through it all though. We fight for a better future. We fight for a better ending to our own story. We fight because we have the right to. I have a right to the happiness of my life. I can make the choice in each and every circumstance I am faced with. I must know that I can not change anyone around me, I can not change the way they approach a situation, the way they think, what side of the line they choose to stand on. I can however, change the way I intend to react, confront, and feel about the circumstance. Life, in a nutshell, is one circumstance after another, each bleeding into one another as consequences and actions flow from these situations. What do I choose to do about this life...

~We fight, so at the end of the day we can say we lived.






"Rejoice always. Pray continually. Give thanks in every situation because this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Comments

Popular Posts